Thursday, April 30, 2009

megazone challenge - the results are in

as 5 pm approached, i admit, i was getting a little nervous. i'm pretty competitive, and wanted to do my best in what was essentially a fun challenge. i wanted to know if i could eat the megazone, and could i do it faster than everyone else.

the competition arrived. we had some laughs.

mike the fresnan was in good spirits



josh/famous whitewater is a slim dude, and so a lot of people were thinking he might be a favorite, a kobyashi type.



joey/lola la chola was all dolled up. she said the dress was to give a muumuu expansive effect.



the prize we were all gunning for



my megazone as it arrived. i was told after the competition that they had weighed mine before they brought it out and it was just under four pounds. i'm glad they told me that after.



this is my hand above the megazone in an attempt to give some scale. my hand is maybe an inch above the megazone, and my hand is 8" so the megazone is somewhere around 11" i think.



i went straight to work, employing a technique of eating all the center filling and then attacked the crust. it was difficult because it had tons of meat - i think pepperoni, salami, canadian bacon, sausage and some ground beef, and it had mushrooms, olives, green peppers and onions. i was so hoping there wouldn't be onions as i really dislike them. here's a photo i took when i was pretty far along.



my last two bites



here's what joey had left when i finished. she ate her way to a fourth place finish.



the fresnan didn't want to give me an unobstructed view of his third place finish. mikey, maybe this is why no one picked you.



famous whitewater made a valiant effort, and i actually was worried about his progress for a while. he came in second and ate all but about 1/4 of the megazone.



me, i just cleaned my plate like my mom taught me to do.



all gone.



my winnings: pitcher of beer that i shared with two others and still didn't finish, the megazone champ trophy, and a $20 certificate to milano's.



i think everyone had a good time. i know i was stuffed, and was hurting a bit like i had been punched very hard in the stomach. i couldn't go anywhere for about 45 minutes and then i drove home.

thanks to kendall & milano's. i'm glad to be one of 9 people to have conquered the megazone.

UPDATE: here's some video taken @ the event.

15 comments:

Dorktown Podcast said...

My blogs off to you, sir. You were the better man today.

I want to crawl away somewhere for the next two days. Pizza commercials on TV are making me ill right now.

1pedicabdriver said...

Congrats on finishing first. You should have asked Kendall if you could take a rain check on the pitcher or beer so you could enjoy it at a later date.

Lulu said...

No kidding, how in the world did you drink beer after that??

Congrats on the win!

m.wise said...

how long did it take you to eat it? and was there any type of time limit imposed, other than the other competitors stopping once you were done?

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! Congrats! :)

blake said...

Man. That looks likes like it was fun!(at least to be an observer).
Had a family engagement, else I woulda been there.
I hope everyone recovers soon.

brodiemash said...

You destroyed it, sir! Good job!

MsJoey said...

I hang my head in shame for all the trash talk!
I seriously thought I'd be able to eat more but once I started moaning, I knew there was no way I was gonna take another bite!!!
Congratulations! You were by far the best man in this event!!!

edluv said...

thanks everyone.

mike,
the only real time limit they had was the current record time of 18 minutes. after that, it's just who can finish that beast. at 18 min i'd say i had about 2/3 gone. it took me around 18 to finish the other 1/3.

my finish time was about 35 minutes.

i should have pushed for the beer @ a later point, or have gone super light w/bud light. instead, i went with a pale ale that i thought would be lighter than it was.

final note: i woke up hungry this morning.

hmac said...

I wanted to vomit just watching you eat that, but still, I congratulate you on your win, sir.

Travis Sheridan said...

Well done, Ed...

I am very impressed. Did anyone employ the Gold/Carpenter strategy?

edluv said...

if you go and look @ the megazone wall of fame, you'll see a picture of a guy who has done it twice. he's a cop. this amazes me. i think i could do it again, but, why? i mean, i did it for a fun challenge. this guy did for lunch or dinner. twice.

edluv said...

gold/carpenter strategy?

edluv said...

so i went to google to try and solve the mystery of what travis was suggesting. it took me a few variations in search, but i had the ah ha moment:
tracy gold
karen carpenter.

i'm not sure what the other contestants did. i admit nothing. okay, i did have a little decide to jump ship later, but i am confident that the majority of it remained on board and was digested properly, or is lodged in my colon.

edluv said...

official time 37 min.