Wednesday, September 10, 2008

random musings

so, i was just going through life today and was thinking about tons of random stuff and thought i'd post a little here.

-man, i really dislike red light runners. i don't know if fresno has more than other places, or maybe the major intersections i go through get more, but damn! stop running the red light, especially you left turners. at one intersection 3 cars in one lane turned after my light turned green. that means yours has been red for at least a second.

-i saw a license plate that read i love my camry. how much do you have to really like a car to get your vanity plate about it. and a camry?

-i was subbing a class today and showed the movie 'freedom writers.' pretty good movie, well made. hillary swank has horse teeth. here's my deal about the movie: i know it's based on a true story, just like dangerous minds was (this isn't the problem). i find it problematic when the stories routinely done by hollywood are the old "whitey comes to the projects and saves the inner city kids." it's overplayed, and it maintains the idea that minorities can't do it on their own. but, that doesn't mean we can't tell the stories like freedom writers. i just worry that we only tell those stories.

7 comments:

duble-u said...

red lights are not always cut and dry, especially if you are turning left in parts of large metro areas (not saying that fresno counts) you better accept making some late turns. stopping for yellows too quickly can be just as dangerous.

Adam said...

Or when Hollywood has a bunch of white guys portray a bunch of Asian guys who counted cards and won lots of money.

Lulu said...

Yeah that red light situation is tricky. I had to wait through 3 light changes yesterday because some douche in front of me wouldnt turn. Sometimes if you dont turn on a red you arent going to turn at all. That said, since I walk a lot, I see a lot of other red light runners that would have taken me out if I wasnt paying attention.

I saw a license place holder awhile back that said I love boobies. That makes a lot more sense than I love my camry to me.

And the white people always save the troubled kids. Why do you think Kendall teaches at Sanger;)

Adam said...

I saw a red light runner at Fulton and Belmont this morning. Blatant. Same exact situation and intersection where I was in a collision a couple years back.

edluv said...

i agree that there are going to be some red lights run, especially if you're turning left w/o a dedicated light.

but three cars turning after my light turned green? that recoculous.

timidvenus said...

fyi, camrys are great cars. i had one for years and would totally own one again, with a license plate that reads 'i love my camry' if they still made them in station wagon form.

Monticore said...

Timid if you get that license frame we can't hang out anymore.

Lulu you are so right every white child born to dems dreams of growing and saving troubled youth.