Sunday, September 16, 2007

now where did i put that?

i met up with tim & two of his friends in vegas this weekend. he wanted to celebrate his 30th birth day. it was a fun time, and i got a few stories. like, there's a whole lot of funny that happened at the restaurant i took this photo in. i won't tell you now though.



so, i was riding my motorcycle to vegas. that's right, i took my vegas to vegas. i was a nice ride, especially the way there. the way back was quite windy, and i just wanted to be home. since i was on the bike, i needed to figure out how to carry luggage. i was traveling light (two shirts, a pair of pants, etc.) so i was just packing my clothes in a messenger bag. i bought a cargo net deal to strap the bag to the back seat.


(actual cargo net)

the system worked very well on the way over. i also had my camel back, so i'd have water on the trip. i put my valuables (wallet, phone, $) in the pockets on the camel back. on the way back, it seemed to work well, too. that is, until i was about an hour from home. i stopped for gas in bakersfield, and hopped back on the highway. i don't know why, but about 30 miles down the road i had some weird feeling to check on my bag. reach back behind me and all i feel is seat. crud! where did i lose my bag in the last 30 miles? what's in it? do i just cut my losses or go back and try to find it. it was mostly clothes, but i knew there was a credit card receipt in it as well. i freak out about stuff like that, so i knew i had to go look for the bag. but, i didn't want to ride all the way back to bakos. i got off the highway and headed back towards bakersfield. i decided i would go half way back, and then head towards fresno and see if i could spot it. it was night (8ish) and it's pretty difficult to look for a dark blue bag while driving @ freeway speed. twice i thought i saw something, but neither were it. one was a tire tread. i was pretty discouraged, and was almost back to the spot where i realized that the bag was missing. i think i was an exit away from where i turned around, and then i saw it: some of my clothes! i slowed down, pulled over, and walked back. now, the clothes and stuff was across 3 lanes of traffic, so i'm walking and trying to see what's there. i crossed the highway and started picking up clothes. i got it all back! well, i did lose one pair of socks, and my swimsuit was tore up, but everything else was good. and, i found the credit card receipt. super sweet. what i didn't find was the bag itself. gone. i also lost my u-lock that i use to lock up my bike. and, i saw half of the pliers that i had with me (one arm of it completely gone, i left it all behind).

and i still have the cargo net. it let my bag go, and just sorta slid down.

6 comments:

Lulu said...

I want to know the story that goes with the restaraunt picture, does it have anything to do with the guys walking up in the background? Did you guys have a dance off with them because that would be a whole lot of funny!

Adam said...

I can't believe you found that reciept. I figured that would have been long gone in the wind.

edluv said...

well, the receipt was stapled to a card deal from the room, so it had enough weight to just sit. i realized that i should have clarified that a little more, because just a loose receipt would have been gonzo.

as for the story, it's not a dance off...then. it was more about the waiter, who just kept doing stuff that were all stories in themselves. but later, when we were out at a place with a house band, one of tim's friends did get a dance off challenge issued. which is hilarious. he's about 5'6" korean guy, and was a good dancer and all (of course, i only saw him dance as he was sort of clowning about while we were standing around). he went out on the dance floor, and was dancing for probably less than a song when someone wanted to dance off.

who's the knucklehead that issues these challenges?

Lulu said...

Hahahaha, I was joking about the whole dance off because when does that actual happen besides in cheesy movies about high school students? Apperantly the dance off is alive and well in Vegas. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

ah dang it I forgot to call him. Well I guess a late birthday call is better than nothing. I'm glad you made it out there and had a good time. I would love to hear the stories. And I love the dance off!

duble-u said...

that is a crazy story, i can't believe you found all your stuff, or that you noticed you lost it just after you lost it. and to all those who think they have got the moves i issue a standing challenge for a 9 minute dance off, standard rules and 45 second intervals apply. WORD