Saturday, September 30, 2006

choosing how you want to live

some strung together, somewhat related thoughts.

i don't want to allow fear to run my life. this includes how the gov't treats us, how i hear the news, how i allow myself to be marketed to.

although i have a critical (some have said prophetic) viewpoint at times, i will not become a cynic or have a critical spirit. i am seeking to enjoy life, live it to the fullest. it is the gift i've been given. i want to enjoy my family, friends, fellow soujourners in life. i want to celebrate your accomplishments and joys as well as my own.

i want to chase after my dreams, work towards them, and not give up on them just because they're far off at times. it's also nice when some of them come true.

i want to speak up when i see things going wrong, but also temper my voice so that i don't take on the personna of chicken little or the boy who cried wolf.

5 comments:

JPN said...

Good Balance!

A lot of people have gotten into trouble by crying wolf too often, how do we discern what to speak out against without being afraid of being wrong sometimes?

edluv said...

i think some of it comes from admitting when you are wrong. weighing the info that's out there, seeking the guidance of the Spirit, and then opening your mouth. and then, if you're proven wrong, owning up to it.

i think.

Adam said...

Well, I don't ever see you taking on the stance of the boy who cried wolf. He was intentionally misleading others. As far as chicken little, it's a matter of having a genuine concern about something versus a paranoia.

I see our country slipping towards a form of fascism. Is that based on an intentional attempt to mislead? No. Is it unsupported paranoia? I don't think so. Is it a genuine concern based on quite a few concrete facts. Yes.

So, from the outset, saying "our country is slipping towards fascism," sounds like an outrageous claim to make, but I don't think it's so outrageous.

Ed, I don't think that anything important to you fits into any category but sincere concern. How you convey that concern is probably more of an issue, as you say. I think anyone that listens to what you have to say and then says you sound like chicken little or the boy who cried wolf is either not listening or attempting to defraud your concern.

JPN said...

Basically have a humble vs. arrogant spirit.

Got a question for you, would you be interested in giving me an objective opinion of a book that has been floating around our church and in reality taking it over. It has only been self-published. I'll refrain from any more comments to allow you to remain objective. If you want to take a look at it, send me an email at jnate@new.rr.com and I'll email it to you.

edluv said...

dang, that book is like a hundred and something pages on the computer. i wonder where i can go print it for free?