Friday, August 08, 2008

can i lose some weight?

so, i've been thinking about fitness lately. i know, everyone wants to loose some weight or be in better shape. novel idea.

here's my problem: my body has really settled in at a weight. this happened in college, i had put on some weight through a combination of eating, drinking, and lifting weights. i was involved in athletics and was working out fairly regularly. it wasn't really aerobic exercise, but it was still hard workouts. i was decently fit, but couldn't ever ditch that weight.

since college, i've embraced a less active lifestyle. occasionally i put on a few more lbs, but it comes right off. but i can't seem to shake that other weight. even when i was riding my bike back and forth to seminary every day, still not much change.

i think if i want to do it i'll have to really crank up the effort a notch. check out this little beauty that came in monticore's cereal:



okay, a pedometer probably isn't going to do it. but i thought it was pretty cool that it was snap, crackle and pop kicking it for adidas. the funny thing is, it wasn't even in a box of rice krispies.

what's your fav way to lose weight? what's your fav exercise?

7 comments:

Lulu said...

The very best and most effective way to lose weight is by lifting. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn and the faster your metabolism. Cardio has its benefits, but you dont continue to burn calories throughout the day like you do if you are increasing muscle mass. I would do a combination of the two and if you do you can make your cardio more effective by doing your cardio last. That way your heart rate is already elevated and you get into the fat burner zone more quickly.
Along with exercise you should also eat more frequently throughout the day. Instead of the standard 3 meals if you eat 6, you will eat less each meal, you dont have time to get really hungry and thus overeat. When Iam starving is when I have a tendancy to make bad choices. It also keeps your metabolism up because your body doesnt go into starvation mode. When you go into starvation mode when you do eat, the body wants to store it as fat because it wants to protect itself for the next time it is starved, a bad cycle to get into.
Thats my method at least and from everything I have read, it is the most effective way to lose weight, it just takes discipline and a lifestyle change. It has taken me a while but I now crave the food that is good for me and the bad stuff isnt as appetizing.

Monticore said...

When I saw that little doo-dad today I knew you were going to talk about it because you are such an adidas whore.

You made fun of me when I got a pedomoter from my Adult Happy Meal at McDonalds.

Anonymous said...

you should join centerpoint so we can lift together. maybe lulu will take us under her wing

cofuzz said...

lulu's advice is spot on. and if you're gonna have big meals, eat them earlier in the day.

i'd be intimidated to work out w/you big boys, but i need to join a gym. these home workouts aren't cutting it any more.

Lulu said...

Yes everyone should join centerpoint! I wont let you neglect legs though, guys who only do upper body are absolutely ridiculous and they look it.

edluv said...

not a problem for me. because i was a thrower, and a lineman, we always spent plenty of time focused on legs. i remember the first time i squatted, and not just some little barely moving down squat, over 500 lbs.

Anonymous said...

What worked for me was the detox and slowly introducing certain carbs into my diet to see how my body reacted. It was very informative to how my body functions. I can't say that I am always maintaining the same plan, but it kicked started my metabolism and helped to motivate me to keep on the plan.

For the gym I start with cardio and get my heart fit and then start working in the weights.

I think what would help is a goal. I think you should get in shape to throw in the highland games. You and Jay could meet up and compete together. Goals always help to maintain workouts and diets and all that.

p.s. Jay just competed today and I thought of you and FPU track memories.