Tuesday, August 12, 2008

at&t or comcast internet

so, i'm pretty happy with comcast customer service right now. as i mentioned yesterday, we're going to get diret tv, so that means that i'll be cancelling comcast. today, i went about that task as well as transferring my phone service and dsl.

i called the phone company first (at&t) and waded through their stupid computer phone system. the lame thing about the computer system is that you can't actually transfer service using it. you have to answer all these questions, and when the system figures out you want to move your service, time to kick you over to a real person. that's good, i prefer talking to real people. so, i go about transferring phone & dsl service. well, as they work on my account, they discover that our new house is in some area that qualifies for u-service or something like that. basically, it's fiber optic tv, voice, and cable all in one. well, i don't really want such a service because i'm already getting direct tv, which in my opinion is better. but, i've already been transferred to the u-service guy. we chat, he runs me through my options which are basically to switch to the new service for the phone & internet (something you can't set up this way by yourself online) or stick w/basic phone service and...a slower, high speed connection. huh? i'm moving literally 3 streets over, maybe a half mile, and i'm not eligible for dsl any more? that's stupid. so, i tell the guy i'm going to have to think about it all and call them back.

so, i start looking @ comcast's internet options. every one i know w/this likes it, and talk about how it actually is faster uploading & downloading content from the internet. but, can i get it w/o having cable? because no matter what, i'm cancelling that for direct tv. i can't tell on the internet, and i figure i'll just call and ask questions & cancel all at once. good thing i did. a very nice lady set me up good. basically, i can have the internet w/o cable, and they're running a special for 6 months @ $29 a month. after 6 months, it goes up to $55, unless i add basic cable, for like $12. or, she gives me the option of getting a year @ $33. i opt for the year, but she hooks it up so i actually will get the 6 months @ $29, then it will switch me to the year @ $33. and, i can do all this w/o cable. banging. so, of course she asks why i want to cancel my cable service, and i explain i'm getting direct tv (nfl package). she says she completely understands and that her husband is trying to convince her to get that, alongside of their cable service. she's really nice, and sets it up so my cable ends saturday.

the only drawback is that my cable internet won't be hooked up until monday. no worries, i'll phone blog saturday & sunday should i choose to do so.

i'm also pretty happy because i know that at&t has better dsl rates for new customers (if you can get it @ your place) than i was currently getting. but, you can't get them newfangled discounted rates as an existing customer.

the only question i have left is do i keep my home phone line? we don't use it for anything, and i really mean anything. only random relatives call on it. i would suspect that most of my friends don't even have it. would you keep it for $10?

3 comments:

Adam said...

I got ahold of H on the home phone when Brian and I had to move the couches last week, but that's about it.

I say drop it. The only reason I have a landline is my DSL.

brodiemash said...

Same with me, Adam. Gotta have internet and cable is too much. All I get on my landline are stoopid calls (right at 5:30pm, no less) asking me about refinancing my home. I FRIGGIAN LIVE IN AN APARTMENT!! Love those...

edluv said...

fortunately, we're on the no call list and have a phone zapper deal, so we really don't see too many soliciting calls.

it looks like we'll keep the phone line for a little while at least. and for the $10 or so to have the most basic service it's not too bad.