Tuesday, January 24, 2006

funny quote

my wife heard a funny quote today on the radio. i can't say that it's true, but it's funny. well, i thought it was funny.

"there is more evidence linking bush and abramoff than hussein and bin laden."


which brings me to a story i saw in the paper today. the president assures us again that all the wire tapping is legal.
"If I wanted to break the law, why was I briefing Congress?" he said.

well, you also said that brown was doing a good job down in new orleans after the hurricane. he was asked to resign during that crisis.

you also said that there was clear evidence of weapons of mass destruction. well, you haven't been proved wrong yet, but, there hasn't been any found yet either.

and, your administration has asserted many times that iraq was linked to bin laden and 911, despite continued evidence to the contrary.

so, yes, i'm skeptical when you claim that the eavesdropping is all on the up and up. i have trouble not wondering who in the government is watching my internet usage, my spending habits, my reading materials, my phone calls. and to those who's answer is, "if you don't have anything to hide you shouldn't be worried," when did the government decide who i could talk to? i thought we had a policy that allowed people to say and think what they want, even if it differed from the government line. and, how many of you were calling the government jack booted thugs in the wake of waco, ruby ridge and other similar events. of course, where was the outcry on the left for maintenance of civil liberties at that time?

"I'm mindful of your civil liberties, and so I had all kinds of lawyers review the process," Bush told the Kansas gathering."

i guess that settles it.

4 comments:

Uber Steve said...

But Ed, wait, you are obviously overlooking the good ol' boy charm in his voice when he says "I had all kinds of lawyers review the process". That kind of southern groove just can't be conveyed in print, you gotta hear it for yourself.

In all seriousness, I've always wondered why anyone listens to anything he says when he uses that whiny tone in "If I wanted to break the law, why was I briefing Congress?" He sounds like a husband trying to explain why he didn't call to check in when the poker game ran until 4 AM. It's the same voice that got his ass kicked in the first debate with Kerry.

Unknown said...

The only bush I trust is... Billy Bush.

Adam said...

When he says "all kinds of lawyers" is that like those commercials where a "doctor" raves about all the wonderful benefits to be had from whatever new workout system is being touted? A doctor of what?

"Oh, well, we had a whole bunch of accident lawyers look at it, and one of those lawyers that specializes in wills, you know, all kinds."

Unknown said...

Adam, I totally heard the W voice in that hypothetical quote.

Adam, you're doin' a heckuva job.