Thursday, January 05, 2006

alarms going off

the other night i was having trouble getting to sleep. i was lying in bed and heard an alarm going off. it's from a business down the street. the alarm is the old school, clanging bell sound. frankly, it goes off far too frequently, and it's usually set off by the janitors. so, over the five years living near this alarm i have become desensitized and don't even look when i hear it going off. within minutes it usually gets shut off or just fades into the background noise.

hearing the alarm going off got me thinking. i ignore this thing that is supposed to alert us to something. it's gone off so often that it has lost its ability to alarm me. i'm fine with this, really. like i said, it goes off too often. but, it made me wonder if there are other things, alarms so to speak, in my life that are going off? and have they been going off enough that i've tuned them into the background noise?

i don't have any real answer here, just the question.

1 comment:

edluv said...

if it were your car alarm, probably. but i think you're missing my metaphor. not trying to call you out, just trying to refocus on my own introspection.