Friday, February 13, 2009

radio advertising

so, i listen to the jim rome show when i'm able to. like all radio shows, it gets by on advertising. it's a combination of local and national ads. and basically, after hearing most of these ads over and over, i don't think i'd shop at any of them. here are some of the big offenders:


-ara karkazian jewelers
- i don't care if tarkanian took his watch and ncaa championship ring to you. hearing his dopey old voice, and really when i hear his voice i think of dopey from the seven dwarfs (i know, dopey didn't talk, but look @ a picture of tark and then a picture of dopey, tell me i'm wrong), i am not inspired to go to your jewelry store. i know fresno has an obsession with tark, and i liked him @ unlv, but he didn't do jack for us. and, his coaching ability and recommendation don't do anything for me as someone considering jewelry.


-vermont teddy bears



my wife assures me that women do not, i repeat, do not, want a teddy bear for valentine's day. i always thought it might be a bit odd to give an adult a stuffed animal. i mean, she's not six after all.

-fresno pacific university: apparently they have an online master's degree program in kinesiology that will help you be a better coach. i don't have a problem with the program or the ad, i'm just pretty sure that one of the people featured in the ad is the soccer coach. i mean, how many graduates do you have from a program when you're sneaking your staff into ads?

now, this next ad doesn't actually play during the rome show. my friend mike told me about it, and i heard it monday morning when i borrowed the car and was listening to the adam carolla show on the way to work.

-ashley madison. ummm, this has got to be one of the creepiest things i've heard about. they are pretty directly advertising having affairs with people that just want to have affairs. really, here's their tag line:"LIFE IS SHORT. HAVE AN AFFAIR.™" they try and hook up married people with other married people just looking to get down. it's a crazy world we live in when you're advertising affairs in the 6 am time slot.

i'm sure there are other offenders...errr, i mean advertisers out there that i could talk about. those are just ones that to the top of my mind. and, i guess they're doing their job because i am talking about them. i'm not going to use any of them, but they've got some secondary advertising off of me.

7 comments:

Lulu said...

Heather is right, there is nothing sexy or even useful about getting a teddy bear for Valentines Day. I would rather have a vaccum because what am I going to do with a stuffed animal? Put it on my bed, um no. Put it in the closet never to be seen again, yes. If a guy thinks that is a good idea they are either dating a child or are clueless.

I never hear any of these other ads but an affair commercial, are you kidding me?? That just makes me really sad that people would promote cheating and basically crushing the heart of someone you supposidly love. Yeah life is short so hurt the ones you love as long as you get some pleasure out of it!

Anonymous said...

Um, totally selfish plug/disclosure since I work at one of them, but there are alternatives to commercial radio: KVPR/KPRX (89.3) and KFSR (90.7) are my personal favorites.

I'd never heard of the Ashley Madison spot - appalling.

edluv said...

jayparks,
i appreciate the selfish plug. i try and listen to noncommercial radio @ times, but usually i ride a motorcycle so if it's anything it's my ipod. when i'm in the car, if it's not during a morning show i enjoy (jim rome) or find mildly interesting (adam carolla) i end up flipping around, song to song.

or i use my ipod there.

edluv said...

but i do appreciate kpfa/kfcf and kfsr. i really used to like kfsr much more, but i'm not a big jazz guy, so i leave it for those that love the jazz during those big slots.

Anonymous said...

I listen to Adam Corolla daily, and at first thought (hoped) the Ashley Madison ad was a spoof. Not so.
As for the kinesiology ad, some of those people are just plain awesome, whether they are graduates from the program or not. And sometimes, just sometimes, you get pulled into a recording studio and asked to read a script because the deadline is in 20 minutes. Just sayin'.

edluv said...

james,
good point on people being pulled in on the script. it's just funny because the coach who's voice i recognize has been a head coach since 1991. if he was in the program, i'm sure it strengthened his skills but we are talking about a relatively new, short term program. was he not a good coach those other 15 years?

James said...

Yeah, I'm not really disagreeing with you - I forgot that commercial was made until I got a call a few weeks back from someone that recognized my voice (and asked if I had really studied kinesiology). I know that the communications team tries to get authentic testimonials, but sometimes - rarely, but sometimes - creative projects involve actors for different reasons.