Thursday, January 12, 2006

you just left the box?

so, i was reading toothpaste for dinner. yesterday's comic was called 'leave this box here' or something to that effect. it was making fun of fedex's policy of just leaving the package when no one answers the door.

recently, i've ordered several things, some of which were delivered by fed ex. never have i answered the door for them. and, they just left the box on the front porch. which always makes me think, "someone is going to steal that." really, we live on a busy street, with lots of foot traffic. any number of people could just walk up, grab the package off the door step, and keep walking.

i just can't figure out why fedex has a policy that is so different from ups and usps those other two won't leave a package unless you're there. like, say i have a book coming from amazon or some other provider. the post guy leaves a note that tells me to go pick the package up from the post office because it was too big to fit in our mail slot. i feel good about that. ups, they leave a note that tells me when they'll try to redeliver or i can go pick it up. but fedex, they just leave it. at least on one of my recent orders, the delivery person put the package in the bushes by the door step so it was sorta hidden. damp, but not just sitting out in the open. today, they just left it on the doorstep. i don't know how long it was there, but i was gone from the house for about 2.5 hours. so, could have been a very short amount of time or a very long one.

hey, i still got the stuff, so why am i complaining? well, i do think it's an odd policy they have going.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a guy could make a good living following Fed X trucks. Wait until they leave the package and pounce. Be sure to look for thos eboxs that say DELL or HP or Gateway. They kinda make it obviouse.

Anonymous said...

I hear you, Ed. It's simply a bad policy to not even ring the bell or knock (although, I suppose the argument could be made that some people don't want to be disturbed - but then I guess they could put up a sign). I do quite a bit of ordering online and while we do live on a quiet street, we got 64 inches of rain last year. I've had boxes of paper that were damp, but nothing ruined yet. Honestly, most times I'm home and just don't realize something's been dropped off.
For my own peace of mind, I usually try to make sure my purchases are shipping USPS or UPS.