Friday, January 05, 2007

unexpected blossoms on the flower

last night was a very good night for me. first of all, it was the end of a term that i was teaching. so, i knew i would be finishing up my current night class. i didn't mind teaching nights, but i know i prefer to sit at home at night and watch tv with my wife.
the next thing that had me excited was my impending art show. i always enjoy art shows, but this one would be different. it was my first group show, as well as first show without serving wine. these both bring different dynamics. for a solo show, i know that if people come in, they're only seeing my stuff, and i don't have to feel like i'm rushing them, or stopping them from seeing other artists. with the wine, i usually hang out near the wine because i know people will go there. it's an automatic entrance for me to say, hey, i'm the artist, would you like some wine? do you have any questions? so, i knew this would be a different challenge.
so, as the night went on, i tried to force myself to interject myself into people's conversations to let them know that, yes, this was my work and i'd be happy to answer any questions. you may not know this, but this isn't the easiest thing for me to do. i love talking to, and meeting new people, i just hate having to introduce myself. i prefer someone else to say, "hey, this is ed, blah blu ble blah blah." then, i'll talk all night or whatever. but, i just tend to stand @ the edge of the crowd if i've got to introduce myself.
fortunately, i introduced myself to the right two people. within a few seconds, i had answered a question or two, and then they hit me with the good stuff. "i'd like to buy that piece."



sold! this is a piece titled drip. it's oil on wood, i think it's 6" 18" (i should know the dimensions but whatever).

this is my newest piece, and frankly, i wouldn't have thought it would sold before pieces that i enjoy more, and maybe think are better. but it did. so, this was the first unexpected blossom.

the next blossom came later in the evening. after my show, i went to work. the class finished up well, i entered my grades and what not, and was out. next on the agenda was a little show @ tokyo garden. every month, rademacher and a few other bands play. so, i try to check it out, i love live music. anyway, the show had some problems and i came home before rademacher actually went on. i figured i'd check my email one last time on the night while watching some kimmel. booyah! blossom number 2.
i've mentioned it before, i'll be teaching this semester @ the university i attended, and i was pretty excited about this. but, i thought i may only have one or possible two classes. in my email was a lovely little notice, four classes! three of them are two unit courses, and the other is a 4 unit. so, i've got some work scheduled between now and mid-june. and, it looks like only one will interfere with my job as an assistant track coach.

good stuff to go to sleep to.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations all around that is great news! looks like it's all falling into place for you.

That's great!

timidvenus said...

sounds great ed. bekah had planned on going to art hop, but she stayed in bakersfield instead. im glad it went well.

Justin said...

so what are you buying with the sweet cash?

who was the show with?

edluv said...

well, if you scroll down, past cows are freezin, to a plug for myself, you'll see who the show was with.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the sale and the classes. You're a real classy guy!