Wednesday, February 22, 2006

i should know better

i'm a fan of some sports that that don't tend to get a lot of love in the u.s. (soccer, field and track). so, i want to watch other sports that are on the fringe as well as the mainstream favs.

but, man, i just can't get into the winter olypmics. i keep trying to watch what's on. doesn't do anything for me. last night, i watched the "big showdown" between u.s. speedskaters. bleh. right now, there is some snowboard race on. not exciting. and looking @ results to other contests, it's not like they just aren't showing the events i would want to see. shoot, i think they probably have on the stuff most people want to see. maybe i'll turn the tv off until lost comes on.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm the opposite. I have been enjoying everything on the Olympics. Everything except the figure skating (I hate that crap). I watched 4+ hours of curling with some guys on Saturday, and I loved every minute of it.
I try to imagine myself doing what they do, instead of just letting it be entertainment, and I think that gets me into respecting what they do and admiring these athletes.
Last night was the best night of the olympic broadcast that I've seen so far (There was no figure skating). The women's slalom in the fog, the mayhem of the speed skating short track relay, the astounding aerials competition-- It was awesome last night.
Maybe the winter games just aren't for you. As for me-- I'm glued to them.

edluv said...

i may try and catch some of the short track racing tonight. that actually interests me. it's sort of like a race in track, so i can get into it.

but, i appreciate your perspective jay.

Unknown said...

Sucky thing is that tonight is the women's long program for figure skating, so that will dominate the coverage.

dana said...

I'm with you, Ed. Winter Olypics are hard to love. I wish I could just fast forward life to June and watch the World Cup.

Adam said...

Jay how come the imagining-you're-doing what-they're-doing philosophy doesn't work with figure skating?

timidvenus said...

figure skating rocks.

curling rocks.

bobsleding is lame.

anything on skis is lame.

that is how i feel.

Unknown said...

The visualization works, it's just that I'm just really tired of figure skating. I respect what they do, but my admiration of the athletes is in large part outweighed by my objection to watching hour after hour of one sport while other sports go virtually without coverage.

Last night I was amazed by the gold medal winner Shizuki Arakawa. But I'm sure there were equally inspiring performances in other sports that didn't get shown on tv.

Jimmie said...

For all you figure skater haters, this movie is going to change your attitude.